The Markel Business System
The Markel Business System (otherwise known as MBS) is what drives our thinking day-in and day-out. MBS is the way we run our family of companies. It defines our fundamental values, describes our core strategic focus, and identifies the critical processes that drives the Markel Food Group. MBS is who we are and how we do everything that we do.
Four Core Values of Markel Food Group:
- We attract, evaluate and develop extraordinary PEOPLE.
- We follow the VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER to run our businesses and create better value for our customers.
- We define what success looks like to drive CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT focusing on Quality, Delivery, Cost, and Innovation.
- We are committed to creating FINANCIAL VALUE for our customers, shareholders, and our teammates.
We live these core values and remain externally focused by being internally strong:
- Putting the right PEOPLE in the right places.
- Exceptional people develop outstanding PLANS through strategy deployment.
- We consistently map our PROCESSES in the relentless pursuit of seeking a better way.
- All aspects of MBS ensure superior PERFORMANCE.
MBS Leadership University
The Markel Business System Leadership University (MBSLU) brings leaders and high potential teammates together to share knowledge while supporting one another in better understanding our customers, our teammates, and our industry. MBSLU aims to amplify the customer’s voice and teach a unified set of values and skills throughout the Markel Food Group companies. The curriculum teaches how to be a genuine leader and work in a team setting while also focusing on tactical problem-solving tools, including KAIZENs, risk assessments, and VAVE.
- Monthly Requirements:
- One 90-minute session per month
- Two separate 45-minute coaching sessions
- Continuous skill application
- Final Session is held in person for one week, including graduation
- Each student must successfully complete three Problem-Solving Projects (PSPs)
Learn more in this feature article from Baking + Biscuit International.